Monday, May 9, 2011

Falafel Fun

Falafel is a very basic recipe. I have seen some recipes that have an extensive list of ingredients, that in my opinion makes no matter in the end. Lets face it cumin, garlic and coriander are all very strong spices and the whole thing is deep fried. If you want subtle flavor don't try it with a deep fried bean ball. This food is ment to be simple and easy.

Ingredient list
  1. Garbanzo beans soaked overnight
  2. fresh garlic, onion, and cilantro
  3. spices; salt, cumin, coriander,
  4. flour,baking soda, and baking powder
Directions
You will notice I don't give units of measure in the recipe.
I usually use a pound bag of Garbanzo beans and take a fourth out to boil for Hummus dip. I use two to three cloves garlic depending on the freshness of the garlic, about half a bunch of cilantro, one medium onion, and I can't specify salt or spice. Your best bet is to make the recipe smell it and do a fry test. I always do a fry test. Some days my chief hat doesn't seem to fit, but I still have to produce some sort of edible food substance. With this recipe you can make all sorts of last minute adjustments, it is always better to start conservative with salt and spices then increase.
  1. Drain and rinse your beans make sure you don't have any little rocks (sometimes this happens). Peel your garlic clove(s). In your food processor add garlic and beans. Process until smooth and pasty. Remove beans to a bowl.
  2. Rinse cilantro cutting off extra long parts of the stem. Place into processor with onion. Don't over process the onion and cilantro. I made the mistake once of liquefying my onion. The end result you want is a thick mixture with no chunks.Add to bowl with beans.
  3. At this point add your spices to taste.
  4. Right before you fry sprinkle with flour, baking soda, and baking powder. (I use about two spoons of flour- a bit more than a sprinkle)
  5. Make sure your oil is hot. I fry just above medium.

The white dip you see is made with lemon, salt, tahini, garlic, and a bit of water (if it gets to thick). My husband likes the tahini dip added to tomato salad (in the blue bowl). I have seen all sorts of things added to falafel sandwiches fried potatoes, fried eggplant, fried cauliflower, cucumber,  tomatoes, hummus,  all of it is good wrapped in a warm pita. Insha'allah this will be fun and easy for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment